Vigeo Eiris - Weapons Screening
Brief description of the data offering
- All listed companies and select bond issuers are screened for involvement in 10 types of weapons that are illegal, regulated or considered as controversial particularly those deemed to be excessively injurious or to have indiscriminate effects. Companies’ activities are classified into 5 types of involvement and are graded based on evidence.
- 10 types of weapons screened: Cluster Munitions, Anti-Personnel Landmines, Nuclear Weapons, Biological Weapons, Chemical Weapons, Blinding Laser Weapons, Incendiary Weapons, Non-Detectable Fragments, Depleted Uranium Weapons, and White Phosphorus Weapons.
- Involvements can be filtered based on weapon type, involvement type and evidence grade. The involvement type gives you information on the nature and scale of company involvement in controversial weapons, while the evidence grade gives you information on the accuracy and timeliness of the evidence supporting our profiling. The client facing text includes a profile text and a list of sources, explaining the involvement type and evidence grade for the company.
- The 5 types of involvement assessed are: Full Weapons System – Munition, Full Weapons System – Delivery Platform, Key Parts or Services, General Parts or Services, and Shareholders. Types one to four cover any company which - directly or through a subsidiary or joint venture - designs, develops or produces a controversial weapon or its parts, or provides services for them (including maintenance, testing, transportation, distribution, etc). Shareholders are companies which own equity shares (1-49.99%) in companies identified as involved in controversial weapons.
- The 3 grades of evidence considered are: Clear Evidence of Involvement, Some Evidence of Involvement, Not Relevant / Additional Commentary.
- Our research is updated annually and is available via our extranet platform (DataLab). Shareholding changes and corporate actions (M&A) are updated monthly.
- Our Weapons Screening product covers a scope of 50,000+ values (all listed companies and select bond issuers) from Europe, North America, Asia Pacific and Emerging Market regions.
Where and how do you source your data?
Vigeo Eiris collects and qualifies information published by and about the companies that it researches. We use the most up-to-date open source information coming from companies (websites, press releases, brochures, annual reports, forms 10-K, investor presentations, etc.) and governments (contracts, databases, budgets, etc). Third-party sources (think tanks and research centres, specialised media, international organisations, etc) are used only when information from companies or governments is not available. In addition, we collect information directly from companies via our proprietary VE Connect© platform. This platform provides them with transparent access to their research frameworks and allows them to integrate responses in a precise fashion.
Who are the data users?
The data is used by our global client base of investors for a range of purposes that include: portfolio analysis and reporting, portfolio alignment, thematic index and fund development, and exclusion & engagement. The data can also be used by academic institutions for research and analysis purposes. Institutional investors can use data provided to comply with international treaties and domestic laws on financing in different types of weapons. Asset owners and managers can also use the screening data on companies for their reputational and financial risk managements as well as engagement initiatives.
What is the cost for your data offering?
For more information about the pricing, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the key attributes that differentiates the data you offer?
- Comprehensive universe, covering all listed companies globally.
- In-depth analysis of involvement, covering the full weapons supply chain (munitions, platforms, key parts or services, general parts or services) and minor shareholding.
- Data granularity and flexibility: data can be filtered based on weapon type, involvement type and evidence grade.
- Expertise: Weapons experts with years of experience in non-proliferation and disarmament research, with in-depth conceptual and technical understanding of international law around weapons.
- Methodology alignment with governing weapons treaties and conventions: Backed by its subject expertise, VE weapons research framework has been enhanced and refined over the last 15 years integrating evolutions of the regulatory and normative landscape around controversial weapons. Our Product Guides that outline the methodology and processes behind the development of the dataset are fully accessible for transparency.
- Quality Assured Research: in 2019, Vigeo Eiris became the first ESG rating agency to be awarded the ISO9001 certification for its methods and processes.
#Investors: Interested in a comprehensive #WeaponsScreening of your portfolio? @VigeoEiris analysis screens 50,000+ listed companies and select bond issuers on their involvement in 10 types of #weapons. Contact @VigeoEiris experts now #BecauseESGmatters https://bit.ly/3gUsIyQ