ISS ESG - Responsible Investment Policy Development
Advisory Services or Strategy Advisory
What data do you provide?
A responsible investment mission statement and policy is the foundation of a client’s investment philosophy and can address internal compliance and general business development needs. In additon, an RI policy helps to meet local regulatory requirements and address global governance standards, such as the US-backed Principles for Responsible Investment (“PRI”). The goal of developing a responsible investment mission statement or policy is for investors to have a basis for their portfolio monitoring, company research, engagement, voting, reporting, and communication.
ISS ESG works closely with clients to identify their performance objectives, current capabilities, and tools needed to integrate responsible investment policies throughout the investment process, considering the following:
- Ethical considerations, including environmental and social impacts
- Investor philosophy
- Business development and client needs
- Competitive benchmarking
- Risk management concerns
- Regulatory requirements
- Corporate governance practices
- Regional and global market expectations
Policy development typically involves the following steps:
- Initial meeting with key staff to assess current processes and capabilities, and confirm requirements and ambitions
- Review of relevant published and internal documents
- Consultation with relevant stakeholders
- Drafting of policy, guidelines and internal rules
- Workshop session with key staff to present draft policy
- Refining of policy, guidelines and internal rules
- Presentation to investment committee
- Integration of feedback, if any
- Submission of final policy, guidelines and internal rules
Where and how do you source your data?
ISS ESG will consult with the client’s management, investment, business development, and compliance teams to define the vision and scope of the client's principles, policy and strategy. ISS ESG will also consider various regulatory requirements, industry and market best practices. As a leader in responsible investment, ISS ESG participates in many best practice industry networks to keep abreast of and actively engage in market developments. ISS ESG maintains an active and structured dialogue with responsible investment stakeholders, from governmental bodies, to inter-governmental agencies, industry associations, academic institutions to non-governmental organizations. ISS ESG participates in relevant initiatives and discussions globally.
Who are the data users?
Data is used by a broad range of institutional investors, asset managers, asset owners, fund managers, banks, government institutions, universities and research firms.
What is the cost for your data offering?
Pricing is based on the method by which data is delivered. ISS ESG can provide data via its proprietary platform, DataDesk, or via data feed. Pricing for this solution is available upon request.
What are the key attributes that differentiates the data you offer?
- ISS ESG has substantial experience in providing ongoing advisory support. ISS ESG has extensive consultancy experience supporting investors with positioning themselves with respect to responsible investment. ISS ESG has worked with a large number of major financial institutions globally to develop a pro-active approach to addressing stakeholder expectations on a range of ESG topics.
- International expertise and local support. Exceptional client service is a hallmark of the ISS ESG business model with local research, consultants and operational support represented in a dedicated service team. The client support team builds the bridge for clients to the highly experienced team of analysts to help ensure that clients are supported by knowledgeable, skilled professionals to support business objectives.
- An integrated environmental, social and governance solution. The service combination of the various governance and responsible investment related services offered by ISS allows investors to address ESG challenges with one common approach and rely on global account management and research teams able to offer coherent and unified answers and solutions to their ESG needs. ISS ESG is a true one-stop shop, able to support investors across all ESG related topics.
@ISSESG’s can help investors benchmark performance against highly regarded and commonly referenced principles outlined in the @UN Global Compact, #PRI & other established platforms. Find out more about the #ResponsibleInvestment Policy Development service: https://www.issgovernance.com/esg/advisory-services/