Vigeo Eiris - Controversy Risk Assessment (CRA)
- Environmental data
- Social data
- Governance data
- Screening data
What data do you provide?
- This product provides up to 560 data-points per company related to controversies and their management.
- Companies are screened for controversies on 38 ESG criteria containing over 160 controversy topics.
- The controversy assessments are systematically undertaken on 4 axes:
- The severity of the controversy: (critical, high, significant, minor).
- The frequency of the controversy: (persistent, frequent, occasional, isolated)
- The reactiveness of the company to the controversy: (proactive, remediative, reactive, non-communicative).
- The risk mitigation capacity of the company: (advanced, robust, limited, weak).
- Research is updated daily via our extranet platform (DataLab).
- Research is delivered in multiple formats:
- An excel database.
- A dedicated controversy report per company (pdf).
- A bi-monthly journal summarising recent updates of controversies (pdf).
- A warning list is also generated to flag the most concerning companies.
- Bespoke excel files and delivery of data via an API is available to clients that request this service.
- Our CRA research covers a universe of 7600 companies from Europe, North America, Asia Pacific and Emerging Market regions.
Where and how do you source your data?
Vigeo Eiris collects and qualifies information published by and about the companies that it researches. The use of confidential information is prohibited. For controversy research, we use information from key public press sources (Business and Human Rights Resource Centre, OECD Contact Point etc). Vigeo Eiris also uses the FACTIVA resource which provides research analysts with material from over 30,000 online press sources. This accounts for about 70% of the content of the CRA database. We also collect information directly from companies via our proprietary VE Connect© platform that provides them with transparent access to Controversy research. All companies see any controversies that they face as well as the sources of the controversies. They are able to respond directly to the Vigeo Eiris through this tool and explain the measures that they are putting in place to manage these. Again, information provided through this platform is not used if it is labelled as confidential. Information collected in this process accounts for around 20% of the content of the CRA database. Information provided to us through partnership agreements that we have set up with specific international Trade Unions accounts for around 10% of the content of the CRA database.
Who are the data users?
The data is used by our global client base of investors for a wide range of purposes that include; portfolio analysis and reporting, portfolio alignment, index and fund development, best in class and exclusion strategies development. The data can also be used by academic institutions for research and analysis purposes.
What is the cost for your data offering?
From €3,750 upwards dependent upon the size of AUM of the client, and the depth, geographic breadth and thematic range of research data and coverage subscribed to.
What are the key attributes that differentiates the data you offer?
- Depth: This product provides users with up to 560 data-points per company. At date of publication, our CRA database captured over 10,000 active controversies all systematically assessed under a rigorous methodology by a dedicated team giving investors a complete view on company performance.
- Daily Update: the CRA database as well as the associated company controversy profiles are updated on a daily basis giving investors the most up-to-date assessment on companies.
- Customisable: the CRA database can be customised to only the ESG issues that are material to individual investor needs. Furthermore, additional filters can be utilised (severity, frequency, responsiveness and risk mitigation) to allow investors to refine the lens through which they view controversies.
- Norms driven methodology: the framework of 38 ESG issues that underpins CRA reflects our framework for ESG Research. This has been developed on a foundation of international normative standards and reference texts from bodies such as the United Nations, the International Labour Organisation, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development etc.
- Transparency of Process: though our online platform VE Connect, all companies see all the controversies that are actively affecting their assessments. They see the text of the controversy, the sources that our analysts have used as well as the areas of their ESG framework that it is impacting. They also have a free text space to provide commentary to Vigeo Eiris.
- Transparency of Methodology: Data requires definition to be meaningful. All Vigeo Eiris research lines are accompanies by detailed Product Guides that outline the methodology and processes behind the development of the dataset.
- Quality Assured Research: In 2019, Vigeo Eiris became the first ESG rating agency to be awarded the ISO9001 certification for its methods and processes.
#investors; don’t be caught out by #ESG #controversies in your investment portfolio. Contact @VigeoEiris to learn how our #Controversy #Risk Assessment database can support your #ResponsibleInvestment strategy #becauseESGmatters https://bit.ly/2VmEgji