FactSet Research Systems Inc. - FactSet's ESG Investing Solutions
- Environmental data
- Social data
- Governance data
- Indices/Exchange data
- Various "lenses", or framework-based data, like SASB's materiality framework, UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), TCFD, or custom categories
Brief description of the data offering
FactSet provides the most comprehensive and flexible ESG data, analytics, and research in the market, empowering financial professionals to better assess the ESG performance and impact of any asset class worldwide. In addition to developing our own proprietary metrics and applications, we collect and normalize multi-asset class data from 20+ leading third-party vendors, 4MM+ client portfolios, and benchmarks to enable comparisons and provide meaningful insight into sustainability-related risks and opportunities.
Our diverse suite of sustainable finance solutions brings continuity and context to all reporting and analytical needs surrounding ESG factors, ranks, scoring concepts, opportunities, risks, and more. To ensure these specific needs are met, all ESG solutions are fully configurable and accessible through FactSet's integrated solutions, including the workstation, data feeds, APIs, and major cloud providers.
Proprietary content sets include:
- Truvalue Labs SASB Scores and Spotlights based on the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) framework
- Truvalue Labs SDG Scores and Spotlights based on the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Revere Business Industry Classifications (RBICS) offering precise classifications based on revenue footprint
- Supply Chain data including both direct and reverse supply chain relationships
- People data including board and management team composition
- Corporate Governance data providing activism campaign details including participants, events, defenses, filing dates, and related entities
- Global Sanctions providing access to over 125 global sanctions lists
- Green Bonds
Truvalue, a FactSet company, leverages algorithms to sift through millions of data points, helping users uncover ESG intelligence hidden in unstructured, third-party data from 100,000+ sources in 13 languages. The results provide actionable information on company performance based on the SASB and UN SDGs frameworks, Truvalue's SASB Scores provide short-term, long-term, and momentum scores for 26 SASB categories and 16 SDG goals. Truvalue also provides Dynamic Materiality scores that help identify the most financially material ESG categories for a company.
Where and how do you source your data?
Every day, Truvalue Labs uses AI to ingest data from over 100,000 sources mining for positive and negative ESG-related company actions, applying a consistent, scalable framework. Unlike traditional analyst-driven ESG research, Truvalue Labs’ AI-driven ESG research model involves human ESG expertise at the beginning of the ESG data creation process for unbiased, consistent results. This means that investment professionals can spend more time on analysis, rather than collecting data. Our ESG data insights focus on outside-in data, not company self-reported data, to produce scores. Sources include:
- Local, national, and international news
- Reports by NGOs and watchdog groups
- Trade blogs
- Industry publications
- Important events shared by industry thought leaders via social media platforms such as Twitter
- Global sources in multiple languages
FactSet Global Sanctions sources entity and individual data directly from the U.S. Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions lists and other restricted lists maintained by global authorities including Australia, Great Britain, European Union, and United Nations. Coverage includes 11,600 entities, people, and aircrafts.
FactSet compiles research from a company's articles of incorporation, bylaws, proxy statements, state takeover law, and shareholder rights plan (poison pill) to build comprehensive defense profiles for over 5,300 U.S. incorporated public companies. Activism data against U.S. incorporated companies is available since 2006, select campaigns announced in 2005, all proxy fights since 2001, and additional campaigns waged by prominent activists (SharkWatch50) prior to 2006.
Who are the data users?
Research Directors, Analysts (ESG, Sustainability, Equity, Fixed Income, Quantitative), Portfolio Managers, Chief Investment Officers, Risk Managers, Vice Presidents of ESG/Sustainable Investing, Fixed Income Managers, Compliance Departments at a variety of firms, including investment banks, law firms, institutional investors, hedge funds and activist investors, risk arbitragers, proxy solicitors, corporations, academic institutions, and corporate communications firms.
What is the cost for your data offering?
Pricing information provided upon request. Subscription rates vary according to the type of firm, number of users, etc.
What are the key attributes that differentiates the data you offer?
We apply AI to score company ESG behaviour with:
- Timely monitoring of the massive volume of both positive & negative events daily.
- An "outside-in" approach that overcomes corporate disclosure limitations. We report financially material ESG performance, showing what companies don’t disclose.
- AI is used to produce a new set of insights & an original dataset to unlock ESG insights hidden in massive amounts of unstructured data.
- Transparency underneath the scores lets users drill into specific ESG content influencing scores overall and by category.
- Integration connects to industry standard frameworks. Truvalue Labs was the first to integrate the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board’s, or SASB’s, framework and to map SASB’s categories to the U.N. SDGs and custom/industry frameworks.
FactSet also connects our proprietary and third-party data with clients’ own data to optimize the organization and potential of the data and provide seamless, instant connectivity to thousands of global market identifiers and stock exchanges. With unparalleled expertise in acquiring, integrating, and managing content, FactSet links permanent security identifiers to the entity identifiers to provide risk insight and data dissemination on multiple levels.