About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 250 works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $46 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing. www.rmi.org
RMI established a Global Climate Finance program in 2017 in recognition that the mobilization and smart allocation of finance is a critical enabler of the low-carbon transition globally. Our overall theory of change, captured in our 2018 publication Reinventing Climate Finance, envisions accelerated capital stock transformation of each carbon-emitting sector's asset base (e.g. power plants, steel mills, vehicles). This means boosting clean energy finance flows, shutting off financial flows to build "dirty" fossil assets, accelerating the rate of retirement of those dirty assets, and shrinking the volume of assets needed in the first place (e.g. through demand-side efficiency and new mobility business models).
Our program blends thought leadership and the implementation of catalytic solutions to transform our global economy's capital stock of assets. In developing countries, we work to boost climate finance flows by building strong national institutions (Green Investment Banks and the Climate Finance Access Service)and deploying innovative financial instruments to mobilize and deliver climate finance (Climate Auctions). On the dirty side of the equation, we aim to accelerate the retirement of fossil energy capital stock by managing the capital transition while avoiding stranded assets (Managing the Coal Capital Transition). Finally, through our Climate-Aligned Financial Sector Initiative we work with major private financial institutions to holistically align their financing and investing decisions with a well below 2C future.
RMI is seeking one or more Associates or Senior Associates to join the Global Climate Finance Program's Climate-Aligned Financial Sector Initiative.
Expectations about the financial sector's role in shaping a sustainable planet have evolved rapidly and have now converged on the notion of climate alignment—aligning financial decision-making with globally-agreed upon temperature goals. As this concept cements itself as an enduring feature of the financial landscape, financial institutions will increasingly be expected to accelerate the decarbonization of their portfolios through rapidly scaling up green investment while also supporting the transition of carbon-intensive industries, clients, and assets.
This creates tremendous opportunities as well as challenges for the financial sector. Based on RMI's pioneering work in developing the Poseidon Principles and supporting the Climate Finance Leadership Initiative, the Climate-Aligned Financial Sector Initiative is seeking to develop the agreements, tools, and practices necessary to operationalize climate alignment—both effectively and pragmatically—across the financial sector.
As part of a growing team, Associates and Senior Associates support a wide range of activities, including research, analysis, and writing; stakeholder engagement and management; supporting strategy development; and planning and facilitation of workshops and events.
Associates will work closely with various team members under the direction of more senior staff, whereas Senior Associates will be responsible for more substantial portions of projects and may manage smaller projects. The appropriate level will be determined based on experience and qualifications.
For both Senior Associate and Associate roles:
- Developing analytical products including discussion papers, concept notes, reports, and presentations
- Supporting stakeholder outreach and engagement at a range of institutions (including financial institutions, companies, and non-governmental organizations)
- Planning, designing, and facilitating workshops hosted both at RMI and at various international venues
- Representing RMI and the Global Climate Finance program at conferences and events both domestically and internationally
- Supporting communications efforts (e.g., through blogs and other digital content)
- Preparing proposals, pitch decks, grant reports and other donor-facing materials
- Serving as a climate finance resource to various RMI programs
- Contributing ideas to further our initiative's thought leadership in this area as well as our strategy as we grow the initiative
Graduate degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field such as finance, economics, business, public policy, or engineering
For Associate level, 1-2 years' of work experience in a related field; for Senior Associate, 5+ years' of work experience in a related field
- Experience with and/or knowledge of the financial system and sustainable finance.
- Experience with and/or knowledge key targeted sectors, including oil & gas, power, steel, cement, or aviation
- Experience planning or facilitating events and workshops, and strong external engagement skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong background in research
- Ability to work both independently and as a highly collaborative team player
- Willingness to dive into new areas of work and to learn new subject matter
- Problem solver who is willing to develop and share ideas internally and externally
Experience working in the financial sector
Locations: New York (Preferred), Washington D.C., Boulder
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement
- Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Parental Leave
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment