World Wildlife Fund-United States (WWF-US), one of the world's leading environment organizations, seeks a Director, Carbon Markets Policy and Governance, based in the WWF-US Climate Team. The role will lead and execute WWF's work on policy and governance on market based mechanisms and carbon markets.
- Policy Development: Serves as the leading expert for the WWF-US Climate Team – and WWF US more generally – on a variety of topics related to carbon markets governance and policy.
- Program Oversight: Oversee WWF's engagement with the Carbon Credit Quality Initiative (CCQI), a platform to provide independent, user-friendly scorings for the quality of carbon credits.
- Oversee WWF-US's advocacy efforts and execute key deliverables from donor grants related to WWF's work on aviation sector decarbonization, with a primary focus on the uptake of high-quality sustainable aviation fuels (SAF).
- Strategy and Planning: Leads and ensures effective preparation and timely execution of WWF-US Climate Program's strategy, workplans and budgets related to carbon pricing and carbon markets (and aviation and related sectoral where appropriate), including efficient management of grants and consultancies and the tracking of performance against the goals of these strategies.
- Advisory Work on Nature-based Solution (NbS) Carbon Credit Transactions: Responsible for providing advisory guidance to the WWF Climate Team and other WWF Goal teams on the possible development, structuring and engagement of carbon credit transactions with corporate or other entities in line with guidance materials and other WWF policies.
- WWF Network Engagement: Responsible for engaging country offices, she/her will engage with the Global Climate and Energy Practice (CEP) and other Practices (as appropriate) within the WWF Network to ensure aligned positions and strategies related to carbon pricing, carbon markets, other emerging carbon-quantified financial instruments, and governance of new transformative carbon commodities.
- Fundraising and Reporting: Develops funding initiatives to support implementation of WWF-US' strategy on carbon pricing, carbon markets, other emerging carbon-quantified financial instruments, and governance of new transformative carbon commodities, including identifying funding opportunities, cultivating donors and, in cooperation with the Development and Climate team management, preparing funding proposals and reporting to donors as needed.
- Technical Expertise: Maintains latest financial and/or technical understanding of carbon pricing, carbon markets, other emerging carbon-quantified financial instruments, governance of new transformative carbon commodities, and/or related climate mitigation strategies and policies and multilateral instruments; when needed convenes and structures multi-stakeholder dialogues and cooperative scholarship on carbon finance and carbon markets; develops profile as a thought-leader on these issues with key audiences.
- External Representation: Working with relevant WWF-US communications and government relations staff and WWF-International communications staff as appropriate, represents WWF-US in external engagement with national governments, civil society organizations, intergovernmental organizations, national governments and other relevant stakeholders to advance WWF-US' strategy on carbon pricing, carbon markets, other emerging carbon-quantified financial instruments, and governance of new transformative carbon commodities.
- Staff Supervision: Manages senior program officer-level staff, as well as consultants and/or interns as needed to deliver on strategy or agreed work plans.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President, Climate Finance and Carbon Markets, Climate Team.
- Graduate degree or bachelor's degree in environmental management, economics, business administration, engineering and/or equivalent transactional experience in climate policy, carbon markets and/or environmental policy and advocacy.
- 10+ years' demonstrated experience in carbon markets policy, governance or transactions, including: carbon pricing or market-based instruments; domestic or international carbon market policy; compliance/voluntary carbon credit project development, implementation, or evaluation; and/or corporate carbon credit strategy implementation.
- A close understanding of the Paris Agreement and negotiations, particularly the Article 6 rulebook.
- Substantial knowledge of carbon markets both past and present. Understanding of global corporate best practices related to climate strategies, such as the Science Based Targets Initiative, is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present arguments and analysis in a clear and succinct manner to WWF management, partners and funders; ability to write positions papers, articles and guidance notes.
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty and working independently.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, changing environment, executing quickly on a range of strategic, policy and transactional responsibilities, as well as thinking critically to add value and solve problems.
- Past experience or knowledge of decarbonization strategies or practices within the aviation sector is an advantage.
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF's core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration.
WWF is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and requires all US-based staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. WWF will consider requests for accommodation from the vaccine requirement based on disability, medical contraindication, sincerely held religious belief, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone.