Global Canopy is an agile and entrepreneurial charity with an outsized impact. Our aim is to end large-scale deforestation, a global problem with huge hidden costs for people and prosperity. We work smart, by focusing on the big market levers driving deforestation at regional, national and international levels. And we bring a fresh approach to identifying, targeting, and mobilising action among the key powerbrokers - the governments, businesses and financial institutions worldwide - with the power to end this global ‘deforestation economy’.
Increasingly, we also address related environmental and social impacts caused by the same market dynamics that are converting the world’s rainforests into land for agricultural commodities: our systemic failure to account for the vital benefits we receive from nature. Over the last 16 years we have built a strong track record and an international reputation for innovation and effectiveness.
For more on our work see: www.globalcanopy.org; and for flagship initiatives falling under our 3 key programmatic areas: www.naturalcapitalfinancealliance.org,www.trase.earth, and www.financingsustainablelandscapes.org.
We are seeking a Communications Manager to lead communications strategy and implementation for the Natural Capital Finance Alliance project(NCFA), a joint venture between Global Canopy and the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP-FI). Signed by 45 financial institutions, the NCFA is the largest global initiative working with banks, investors and insurers on natural capital issues. At its core is the Natural Capital Declaration, the signing of which signatories acknowledge and re-affirm the importance of natural capital in maintaining a sustainable global economy.
She/he will be a strong team player with excellent communications skills and attention to detail.
The NCFA is managed by a dispersed team located in both Oxford and Geneva. Working with dispersed teams, across time zones would be a key aspect of this role.
Knowledge of the finance sector and natural capital is essential as the successful candidate will work at the heart of our growing Finance Sector Programme, which seeks to build capacity and accelerate the understanding and systematic integration of natural capital risks and opportunities across the sector.
1. Lead development of the NCFA communications strategy
Develop a communications strategy for delivering impactful communications for the NCFA and its projects. This includes the innovative project on Advancing Environmental Risk Management.
2. Produce and facilitate the publication of key communications materials
- Successful delivery, in collaboration with subject matter experts, of key communications materials, including blogs, social media, press releases, reports, and issue briefs. In some instances, you will be the lead author drawing on analysis produced by team members, and in other instances you will facilitate the review and publication process (such as revising full drafts).
- Oversee the involvement of designers, and other communications consultants and manage internal quality assurance processes.
- Lead social media engagement for all projects you are working on.
- Coordinate communications with all key partners and their communications staff as needed, especially about the publication of key materials and events.
3. Develop and maintain strong communications outputs to the Natural Capital Finance Community
- Lead on the development and execution of the NCFA’s communication plan, working in conjunction with GCP and UNEP FI’s Communications teams.
- Lead on management of the NCFA website ensuring its content is up to date and it remains a targeted and effective platform, including improving and ensuring the accessibility and usability of tools and methodologies for key target audiences. This will require working closely with Global Canopy and UNEP-FI’s Communications teams.
- Work closely with NCFA team members and external consultants to write and edit NCFA materials, including reports, briefs, guidelines and newsletters.
- Produce and execute newsletters to the NCFA stakeholders, including maintaining contact lists
- Establish improved communication with interested parties by fielding inquiries, and directing journalist interest.
4. Event Support
Craft key messaging for the events and the delivery of event documents including brochures and handouts, manage media and social media support to events.
5. Reporting lines
This post reports to the Director of Communications at Global Canopy.
Within the NCFA this post will be a core member of the NCFA project team.
Key skills, experience and attributes
The ideal candidate will have superb writing and editing skills, and experience producing a range of media materials, both print and online. Previous experience engaging media and developing communications strategy is essential. Experience in financial and investment sectors, with an understanding of environmental and sustainability issues is desirable.
- University degree in communications, journalism, English, or a similar field
- 2-4 years of experience in senior communications roles
- Superb writing and editing skills
- Creative approach to story telling
- Experience engaging the media across a range of publication types
- Experience of working in multiple teams, with externals partners, and with stakeholders
- Patient and calm in situations with tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate complex ideas
- Knowledge of the finance and investment sector
- Communications strategy development
- Basic understanding of the importance and value of forests
- An interest in commodity-driven deforestation
- A strong network among journalists and the environmental community
- Proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese
How to apply
Please write to email@example.com with your CV and a cover letter, explaining your motivation and how you meet the essential criteria for the job, including your salary expectation. Please note that early applications are advised, as we may begin interviewing early, depending on the volume of suitable candidates applying, the closing date is 9am, Friday 15th December 2017.