As a leading global asset manager, Aberdeen Standard Investments is dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients, whose investment needs are at the centre of all we do. We have a comprehensive range of investment capabilities, as well as the very highest level of service and support.
We are high-conviction, long-term investors who seek to realise the value of our investments over time. We believe that teamwork and collaboration between investment managers and across asset classes is the key to delivering repeatable, superior investment outcomes for clients. We are also resolute in our commitment to active asset management.
We recognise that the investment landscape can change rapidly and that our clients' needs are continuously evolving. With our global reach and scale, we have the resources and expertise to transform new investment ideas into practical investment solutions that deliver real value to clients.
Following the global financial crisis, the value of global investment assets comprising 'new active' investment solutions – those that focus on the specific outcomes that investors wish to achieve – has almost doubled. New active solutions now represent almost half of all industry assets managed globally and we are committed to further developing and delivering these solutions for our clients.
Our global presence ensures we are always close to our clients and the markets in which they invest. Complementing this is our joint venture in India, HDFC Asset Management Company, in addition to a number of strategic partnerships. These play a key role in our global distribution model and are an effective way to support the needs of our institutional, wholesale, pension and retail clients.
Responsible Investment (RI) has grown in importance over the last decade, as more investors become aware of the importance of the environmental and social impacts of corporate conduct. We believe that companies concerned about the long-term interests of their shareholders should manage relationships with employees, suppliers and customers, and consider the long-term impact of their actions on the environment and society as a whole.
This position is within the RI team and reports to the Head of Responsible Investment. The RI Team works very closely with our investment teams to ensure ESG is integrated into the investment process. The team also manages the criteria for the Standard Life Investments RI products, such as the ethical, SRI and impact ranges.
The purpose of the role is to contribute to the development and enhancement of our Responsible Investment function through:
- providing research analysis, sector studies, thematic notes and the subsequent monitoring of RI with a particular focus on Climate Change and environmental issues at companies in their assigned sectors
- contributing to the research, development and implementation of a strong and robust approach to climate change
- understanding the impact of climate change within the investment process and at portfolio level, and help with the delivery of carbon focused investment solutions for our clients
- building close relationships with our investment teams to enhance understanding of ESG issues at an investment level
- conducting engagement with companies, with a strong focus on climate risks
- supporting the identification and analysis of public policy issues
- assisting in managing the RI rating system and relative criteria for our product ranges
- assisting as required in marketing of RI and client presentations
- Contribute to our climate change investment strategy
- Contribute to developing and enhancing the RI strategy
- Contribute to the integration of RI issues into the investment process
- Complete high quality sector studies and climate related and environmental topic papers
- Contribute to analysis of public policy issues that impact on climate change
- Engage with companies on broader RI issues
- Contribute to the building and marketing of RI solutions for clients
- Contribute to client servicing
- Enhance SLI’s external profile through participation in RI events
Skills, Qualification and Experiences required:
Alongside demonstrable experience of Responsible Investment and a deep subject knowledge of environmental and climate change issues, the successful applicant will ideally possess experience of the provision of research and analytics within an ESG Investment framework. Alternatively the successful candidate may have proven experience of developing climate change/environmental policy frameworks from within either the Private or Public Sector.
In addition, the successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills complimented with willingness to take responsibility and the ability to think analytically. Planning, organisation and presentation skills are vitally important, as is accuracy and numeracy. They will be a self-motivated team-player, who draws on a tendency to collaborate to achieve results.
- Strategic thinker – A good strategic thinker and the ability to make connections and identify trends in data
- Numeracy – highly numerate.
- Accuracy/attention to detail – Has a passion for getting things right first time
- Planning & organising - Highly adept at planning and organising.
- Analytical/problem solving - Highly analytical, a natural problem solver.
- Inquisitive - Curious and excited to learn more.
- Teamwork - Enjoys being a positive, productive and reliable team member.
- Good communication skills - Excels at communication.
- Customer focused - Puts customersat the heart of what we do.