About Global Canopy
Global Canopy is a data-driven not for profit that targets the market forces destroying nature. We do this by improving transparency and accountability. We provide innovative open-access data, clear metrics, and actionable insights to leading companies, financial institutions, governments and campaigning organisations worldwide.
About the role
This role will be at the core of our strategy to influence and enable financial institutions to assess and mitigate their impacts on forests and forest peoples. It will play a key role in finance sector engagement on our two core projects in this space, Aligned Accountability and Trase Finance.
Aligned Accountability will bring together existing data sets on deforestation, working closely with the finance sector and ESG service providers to improve deforestation metrics and related guidance. This can guide more sustainable investment, improve risk management, support due diligence, and enable green product innovation. It builds on our Forest 500 and Trase Finance initiatives, partnering with ZSL SPOTT, AFI and others, with support from the Norwegian Government.
Trase Finance: In partnership with Stockholm Environment Institute and London-based fintech leader Neural Alpha, Trase Finance brings unprecedented transparency to the hundreds of billions of dollars that directly and indirectly finance tropical deforestation each year. The tool enables financial institutions to systematically identify their direct and indirect exposure to deforestation risk, allowing them to improve the sustainability of their portfolios.
Your role will be to coordinate engagement with the finance sector, across these two projects and partnerships. This is a unique opportunity to make practical progress on integrating deforestation into ESG metrics and financial decision making, with the backing of major players in this space. Working across the Aligned Accountability and Trase initiatives you will be part of a leading, multinational, multidisciplinary, and multilingual team of experts. We value diversity, inclusivity and creativity at the core of what we do and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be successful in this role, these are the things that will matter the most:
- Successful track record of engaging with financial institutions or ESG service providers, or experience of working within the financial sector or financial services sector.
- Understanding of ESG metrics, and relevant data and disclosure initiatives.
- Communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to coordinate and influence a wide range of cross-sector partners to dedicate time and take action.
Skills and experience:
- Experience and expertise in one or more of: ESG measurement, frameworks and metrics, environmental disclosure and reporting, investor engagement, investor research and analysis, development of indices, data-driven projects.
- Experience from within a financial institution, ESG service provider, consultancy or NGO working in this space.
- People and partner management, especially in a matrix-arrangement, and working in organisations with a multi-project portfolio, and working with partner organisations
- Existing relevant networks a strong positive.
Essential behavioural competencies:
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, including: ability to concisely explain complex concepts and communicate data-driven analysis in writing; energy and mindset to engage externally and make strong connections; a rigorous approach to evidence-based communications.
- Understanding of how changes in the finance sector can help tackle the climate and nature crisis, and a passion to help achieve this.
Language skills in one or more of Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Bahasa, French, Chinese is advantageous.
At Global Canopy, we value diversity and inclusion. You can read our diversity statement on our website. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and are committed to having a team with a diverse set of skills, experiences and abilities. We are committed to reducing systemic barriers in our recruitment processes. We strongly encourage those from diverse backgrounds to apply and not self-reject based on the listed criteria in the job pack.
Global Canopy works on issues of tropical deforestation. We are particularly interested in strengthening our team to include those with a background from forest regions such as Latin America and South East Asia. We would welcome applications from people from these regions and we will sponsor visas or consider a fully remote work arrangement.
Global Canopy is an inclusive employer and accommodations will be made to allow anyone who requires additional support to apply for this role. Please get in touch with us if you require any additional support.
How to apply
To find out more, download the recruitment pack or visit our website.